of Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice
Table of Contents:
Part I GENERAL PROVISIONS
Part II TASKS OF THE LIBRARY
Part III INTERNAL ORGANIZATION OF THE LIBRARY
Part IV COLLECTIONS OF THE LIBRARY
Part V ACCESS TO THE COLLECTIONS
Part VI INFORMATION ACTIVITY
Part VII FINAL PROVISIONS
I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice consists of:
The Main Library and:
- Branch Library of the SUM Main Library in Katowice-Ligota,
- Branch Library of the SUM Main Library in Zabrze (with a reading room in Rokitnica),
- Branch Library of the SUM Main Library in Sosnowiec,
hereinafter referred to as "branches of the Main Library of the University".
Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice:
1) is a university-wide organizational unit performing scientific and educational services,
2) forms the basis of a uniform library and information system of the University,
3) serves as a central documentation and scientific information centre at University and as public-accessed research library,
4) is an element of nationwide network concerning scientific documentation and information as well as element of national network of libraries.
1. Departments and Branches of the Main Library of the University are created, transformed and liquidated by the Rector - according to the current scientific and educational demands - at the request of the Director of Library, approved by the Council of the Library.
2. Branches of the Main Library of the University are library and information centres, serving adequate Schools of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice.
1. The basis for operation of Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice is constituted by the current legislation:
a) The act from the 27th of June 1997 on libraries (unified text Journal of Laws from 2012 item 642),
b) The act from the 25th of October 1991 on organizing and conducting cultural activities (unified text Journal of Laws from 2012 item 406),
c) Regulation of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage from the 29th of October 2008 on the manner of recording the library materials (Journal of Laws No 205, item 1283),
2. Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice in its activities is also guided by:
a) internal normative acts issued by the University,
b) Polish standards currently in force, regulations and theoretical objectives concerning librarianship, which are not defined in these regulations and the documents referred to therein.
II. TASKS OF THE LIBRARY
1. The tasks of the Main Library:
1) organizing scientific and teaching environment at University through appropriate selection, acquisition, professional development and making available of library resources as well as through the documentation and information related activities, enabling an access to scientific sources as quickly as possible,
2) taking part in interlibrary loans from domestic and foreign libraries,
3) coordinating and supervising the activities of library network of the University in terms of organizational issues, collection acquisition and making them available, as well as bibliographic information and unification of library technology,
4) current registration of the published scientific achievements of the University and its citation,
5) education and improvement of librarians skills as well as preparing Library patrons to use collection of the Library,
6) conducting classes for students and doctoral students in the field of introduction to library and scientific medical information,
7) conducting internships for students of Library and Information Science and internships for employees of other academic libraries,
8) current documentation of the University activity and research, documentation and publishing in the field of history of medicine and pharmacy as well as library and information science,
9) communication activities within the departmental and national system of libraries and scientific information,
10) register and control of library collections.
2. The tasks of the Main Library Branches:
Branches of the Main Library of the University, in close cooperation with the Main Library meet the information needs of the unit under which they operate, in particular:
1) provide collection necessary for research and teaching,
2) share own collection in accordance with regulations and collections of other libraries via interlibrary loans,
3) participate in teaching in the field of library introduction and scientific medical information,
4) make photocopies from collection under the conditions specified in the regulations,
5) carry out tasks assigned by the Dean of the Faculty, approved by the Director of the Library,
6) carry out information and library activities.
The library offers services as regards sharing collections, scientific information, reprographic, interlibrary loan against payment and free of charge. Information about the paid services and principles of their provision are included a price list of the Library and Terms of using the collections of the Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice.
III. INTERNAL ORGANIZATION OF THE LIBRARY
Library is managed by the Director, supervised by the Rector as regards its proper functioning.
1) is responsible for the implementation of the Library service, scientific, research and teaching tasks according to the guidelines of the University Authorities,
2) oversees the proper management of the funds and assets provided to the Library consistent with the provisions,
3) at the end of each calendar year to the 31st of March prepares a report on the activities of the Main Library and its branches and after revision performed by the Council of the Library submits it to Rector,
4) supervises the activities of units of the Library as regards organization, rules of making the collections available and personnel,
5) sets the timetable for Library collection checking (annual and 5-years) and passes it to the Bursar,
6) is responsible for the timely and proper Library collection checking and appoints the Library Collection Checking Committee,
7) serves as a local administrator of personal data at the disposal of Library and is responsible for their processing and protection,
8) performs other tasks assigned by the University authorities,
9) carries out the tasks in consultation with the Council of the Library.
1. The Director of the Library can act supported by his/her Deputy.
2. The function of the Deputy Director of the Library is entrusted by the Rector at the request of the Director of Library with the positive opinion of the Vice-Rector for Scientific Affairs.
3. The tasks and responsibilities of the Deputy Director of Library are defined by the lists of responsibilities approved by the Director of the Library.
1. The units of the Library are departments or branches with its heads.
2. The function of the head is entrusted by the Rector at the request of the Director of the Library.
1. The structure of the Main Library is made of:
1) Acquisition and Cataloguing Department
a) acquires materials and keep records of them in accordance with the applicable regulations,
b) conducts domestic and foreign interlibrary exchange,
c) takes part in the work related to weeding and usage of collections,
d) creates an electronic catalogue of the collection in an integrated library system,
e) assigns subject headings to records in the collection in compliance to the list of MeSH (Medical Subject Headings),
f) carries out regular tidying-up of the catalogue entries,
g) creates a directory of doctoral theses at SUM,
h) ensures the correct operation of the Aleph integrated library system through the work of a system librarian.
2) Circulation Department
a) makes available traditional collections and databases in the Library and the university internet network,
b) conducts scientific information activities,
c) performs interlibrary loans both domestic and foreign,
d) provides reprographic services from the collection,
e) is responsible for fire safety, protection of the Library collection and equipment from damage and theft,
f) is responsible for the conservation of the Library collection,
g) provides training for Library patrons concerning use of databases,
h) provides librarian assisted database searching,
i) updates the data on the website of the University Library,
j) analyses the needs of the Library patrons not less often than once a year and uses the results to predict activity in this area.
3) Bibliography and Documentation Department
a) conducts bibliographic and documentary activities as regards published scientific output of faculty,
b) performs the bibliometric analysis and rankings,
c) creates a database of citations of scientific publications of faculty,
d) documents activity and achievements of the University,
e) collects, organizes and stores information in the field of history of medicine and pharmacy in Upper Silesia,
f) creates databases and photo-file in this area ("History of Medicine and Pharmacy of the Upper Silesia Documentation Centre " and " SUM Professors"),
g) develops materials related to the publishing activity of the Library,
h) conducts the editing and correction of the materials prepared in the Department to publishing,
i) issues a Public Information Bulletin of SUM.
2. Symbols of departments and branches of the Main Library constitute Appendix 1 hereto.
1. Employees of the library are employed and dismissed by the Rector or the Chancellor authorized by the Rector.
2. Administrative and service employees are employed and dismissed by the Chancellor authorized by the Rector.
Heads of the departments and branches of the Main Library are subject to the Director of the Main Library in terms of organization, operation and personnel.
Director, Heads of the Departments and Branches of the Main Library are materially responsible for the following:
a) unjustified lacks in library collection, in accordance with the provisions of § 114-123 of the Labour Code and the course of action in case of damage to property of the employer, as defined in Instruction for inventory of assets and liabilities Medical University of Silesia in Katowice,
b) the equipment entrusted to the employee with the obligation to settling the account on pursuant to § 124-127 of the Labour Code.
Lists of responsibilities for heads of the departments and branches of the Main Library of the University are developed and approved by the Director of the Library. Lists of responsibilities for the employees of Library units are developed by their heads and approved by the Director of the Library.
Head of the unit in case of not having a permanent deputy for the time of his/her absence indicates the employee of the unit who will deputise him/her. Substitution must be agreed with the direct superior.
The heads of the departments and branches of the Library are liable to the Director for all issues carried out by a given unit and for the actions of their subordinates.
Director, his/her Deputy, heads and employees of all units of the University Library creating and processing personal database operate under the existing legislation and take full responsibility in this regard, in accordance with the relevant regulations of the Rector.
Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice may apply to the Rector to sign agreement on cooperation with other libraries and institutions as regards joint management of the library service, in particular:
1) sharing and exchanging information resources and library materials,
2) the organization of events connected to the promotion of reading and literature,
3) organizing trainings to improve librarian professional skills, trainings for users, library internships.
Part IV. LIBRARY COLLECTION
1. The basis for the collection management is the knowledge of the collection structure, the tasks of the Library and the needs of Library patrons.
2. Library collection consist of the library materials. According to the Act from the 27th of June 1997 on libraries (Journal of Laws No. 85, item 539 with later changes), they are, in particular, documents containing captured expression of human thought, to be distributed regardless of physical media and manner of recording the content, and especially: graphic documents (written, cartographic, iconic and musical), sound, visual, audio-visual and electronic ones.
3. Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice acquires and provides the following library materials:
a) written as books, newspapers, journals and other periodicals,
b) audio-visual as tapes, cassettes, slides, DVDs,
c) electronic documents as CD-ROMs, multimedia, electronic journals, hypertext, databases.
4. The Library can collect other kind of library materials than those mentioned in point 3.
1. Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice expands its collection through purchase, subscriptions, equivalent for loss of library materials by the readers, gifts, exchanges of redundant copies from other libraries or from other sources.
2. Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice may accept donations corresponding to the collection profile.
3. To accept donations referred to in paragraph. 2 the provisions of the Directives of Rector No. 43/2005 and 119/2008 shall apply respectively as well as the financial control procedures No. I / 2011 with the provision that the substantive assessment of its acceptance is realized by the Library Director.
1. In case of library materials delivered into Library of without specifications, invoices, etc. evidence of the delivery is made in accordance with the principles included in the Regulation of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage on the method of recording library materials.
2. The value of library materials delivered into the Library in such a manner is estimated by the Committee for Valuation of Library Collection appointed by the Director of Library.
3. The Committee referred to in paragraph. 2 operates on the basis of the Regulations introduced via decision of the Rector.
1. The Library's collections are subject to the registration. Registration consider the record of accessions and discards in a way that allows them to be identified and determine the quantity and value of the stock and the changes taking place in collections. Registration is done based on the eyewitness assessment and on the basis of evidence of accession to the library.
2. There are two types of registration conducted in parallel - total and detailed registration. Total registration is based on initial recognition of all materials introduced to the library (except periodicals) regardless the source of their origin. It is carried out manually in the accession register of books and special collection. Detailed registration is kept on a computer system that provides the ability to print all or selected parts of the information to create inventory list or to meet other needs of the Library. It involves recording each item separately in the inventory list. Separate inventory lists are kept for the periodicals, books and special collections.
3. Discard registration is carried out separately for each group of collection covered by separate inventory lists. The basis of detailed registration of discards are discard evidences. Total discard registration is carried out in the discard register. For individual groups of collection there are separate discard registers.
4. The library is obligated to state annually the value of collection. For this purpose the Library produces a report covering value of the materials introduced and discarded in a given period (year). The financial-accounting register of materials constituting the library collection includes accessions and discards according to the actual costs of acquisition and, in the case of materials obtained free of charge, according to the current estimated value determined by the Committee for Valuation of Library Collection.
1. Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice at least once a year review of its collection taking into account their relevance and usefulness.
2. Weeding of collections is carried out by the Committee for Weeding and Discards of Library Materials appointed by the Rector.
3. The Committee may propose to pass withdrawn library materials to other libraries, students or as waste paper.
4. The Committee referred to in paragraph. 2 operates on the basis of the Regulations introduced by the Rector.
The rules of library collection checking and responsibilities of the Collection Checking Committee determines the Rector of SUM.
Part V. ACCESS TO THE COLLECTIONS
Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice provides service to all Library patrons.
Library collections are available on-site and for lending.
Terms and conditions of use of the Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice are defined in the Terms of Using Library Collections of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice introduced by the decision of the Rector of SUM.
PART VI. INFORMATION ACTIVITY
Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice provides comprehensive information service to Library patrons through:
1) creating an information environment on the basis of collection and databases,
2) searching for medical information on the Internet,
3) providing Library patrons with bibliographic, bibliometric and library information,
4) the library training for readers (teaching the use of the library and information environment),
5) conducting training as regards medical scientific information,
6) preparation of list of references from bibliographic databases.
1. The Library offers the Library patrons subscribed databases via the SUM computer network and through remote access and enable them to use global information resources.
2. Using the Internet in Library premises is free of charge.
3. In case of the use of electronic databases priority is given to staff and students of the SUM.
5. The librarian on duty has the right to monitor the work currently being performed by the user.
6. The user is obliged to inform the librarian on duty about all the hardware and system damage at the time of notice.
7. The librarian on duty has the right to deny computer access to the user if the user violates the rules of using the Internet or perform other prohibited activities connected with using of the Internet and computer.
PART VII. FINAL PROVISIONS
Organizational Regulations of the Library shall enter into force on the date on in which it is passed by the Senate.
With the entry into force of hereby Regulations, Organizational Regulations of the Library from 4.07.2007 lose their force.
Amendments to the Organizational Regulations of the Library can be made in the manner provided for their adoption.
To the Organizational Regulations of Library
Structure and symbols of departments and branches of the Main Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice
|No.||Organizational symbol||Organizational unit|
|2.||PNB-1||Acquisition and Cataloguing Department|
|4.||PNB-3||Bibliography and Documentation Department|
|5.||BL||Branch Library of the SUM Main Library in Katowice-Ligota|
|6.||BZ||Branch Library of the SUM Main Library in Zabrze (with a reading room in Rokitnica)|
|7.||BS||Branch Library of the SUM Main Library in Sosnowiec|
Organizational Regulations of Library at Medical University of Silesia in Katowice taken from:
Appendix 1 to Resolution No. 126/2013 of 26 June 2013. Senate of SUM (text only in Polish)